How to Remove Harmful Asbestos When Renovating your Home

If your home was built prior to the 1970s, there is every chance that some of the building materials contain asbestos, which is a naturally found substance with remarkable fire-resistance properties and this material becomes airborne when agitated. If a person were to inhale slivers of asbestos, they become lodged in the lung tissue and might remain there for several years, before you start to show any symptoms of lung disease.

Asbestos Removal Industry

Such is the danger that this material presents to all living things and if you are planning a kitchen renovation, for example, you are advised to call in Perth asbestos removal, who can test to determine whether or not asbestos is present. If your home is relatively new, say 1990s onwards, then you can be confident that asbestos is not present, as building regulations banned the use of asbestos in construction materials. If, on the other hand, your home is more than 50 years old, then it is likely that asbestos was used in the materials that built the property and that means testing.

Trained Technicians

If you take a look at colleges and universities, you will see there are course for asbestos removal and testing, which is a reflection of the demand for trained personnel in Australia. They learn how to identify asbestos in a wide range of environments, which include the following:

  • Compressed sheeting
  • Stove boarding and sheeting
  • Roofing panels
  • Partition
  • Pipe cladding
  • Insulation

Any material that does contain asbestos is not going to be apparent to you as you remove old building materials and that’s where the danger lies; ripping out old cladding could disperse thousands of minute slivers of asbestos and if these are inhaled, the risks are high that the person will develop respiratory issues.

Testing for the Presence of Asbestos

The qualified technicians are able to carry out a series of tests to determine the presence of harmful asbestos and should it be found that asbestos is, in fact, present in your home, the experts would be able to safely remove it. You might think that small piece of cladding behind the stove is harmless enough, but removing it could see spores of asbestos released into the atmosphere and if they are inhaled, the risks are great.

If you are planning a home renovation and your house is more than 50 years old, you should contact an asbestos removal company and ask them to test for the presence of this deadly substance.

Related Articles